Please register BEFORE you arrive for fingerprinting. Registration is available online 24 hours a day seven days per week at www.pa.cogentid.com
Money Orders are not available at this location.
Telephonic registration through Cogent Systems is available at 1-888-439-2486 Monday through Friday, 8AM to 6PM EST.
1. How long should I wait after I am fingerprinted? Who receives my results?
The response should take about 2 days, or less, to return. DPW applicants will need to wait additional days for the letter to arrive. PDE applicants will have the results post right to the viewing website for schools and will also receive an unofficial copy in the mail.
An applicant should wait no more than 2 weeks before following up if they did not receive a response.
After you are fingerprinted, your demographic data and fingerprints will be forwarded to the State and/or FBI. The State and FBI maintain criminal history databases, and your fingerprints will be searched against these databases. Any criminal history associated with your fingerprints will be sent back to your employer. Neither 3M Cogent nor fingerprint sites do not receive background check results.
Employment Determination – 3M Cogent is not responsible for making hiring decisions. Please contact your employer for information regarding a hiring decision.
2. How do I register for fingerprint services?
a. The applicant can start the registration process online at www.pa.cogentid.com. This will be the fastest way to get registered. Select the department that corresponds to your background check requirement. NOTE: PA Department of Aging applicants will need to know the Agency/Facility ID of the requesting agency to complete a registration. If they are unable to access the internet, we may be able to assist them in registering over the phone at 888-439-2486.
b. For a list of hours of operation simply go to a fingerprint location during the hours listed on our site map.
c. The RegistrationID is the critical piece of information in the registration. This is how the fingerprint site will pull down your registration and start the fingerprinting process. Keep track of this number after your registration.
3. What should I bring to the fingerprinting site?
· Registration ID (REQUIRED)
· Payment: MO or Certified Check only (If not paid for online by credit card or by the Agency)
· One form of valid photo ID
(State Issued Driver's License, State Issued Identification Card, US Passport, US Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID Card (000 10-2) with Photograph, Government Issued Employee Identification Card with Photograph, Tribal Identification Card with Photograph)
4. Credit Card Payments
Credit card payments are accepted during registration only. Fingerprinting sites will not accept credit card payments at the time of fingerprinting.
5. Money Orders
Certified checks and money orders must be made out to 3M Cogent for the exact amount.
6. How do I print a receipt for proof of fingerprinting?
· Visit http://www.pa.cogentid.com
· Click on Print a Fingerprint Receipt
· Enter in your RegistrationID number and DOB.
7. What if I need to cancel my registration?
Visit https://www.pa.cogentid.com/perlpub/cancel_registration.pl to cancel an open registration.
8. I just registered to be fingerprinted and I paid online. How much time do I have to get fingerprinted?
You have ninety (90) days to be fingerprinted. After 90 days, your registration will be cancelled, and you will be automatically refunded (if applicable).
10. What happens if my fingerprints are rejected by the FBI?
In some cases, your fingerprints may be rejected due to poor fingerprint image quality. If this happens, 3M Cogent will notify you via the US Postal Service, and you will be reprinted at no additional cost. If you are notified of a fingerprint rejection, please bring the notification letter with you to the fingerprinting location of your choice.
11. What should I do if I have registered and selected the incorrect agency?
· If You Have Already Been Fingerprinted: We are unable to modify a registration once it has been submitted to the FBI.
· If You Have Not Been Fingerprinted: The table below explains how to modify a registration. There is no charge to modify or cancel your registration. Applicants may also contact the 3M Cogent Call Center: 1-877-862-2425.
Information That Needs Updated Action
· Other demographic data Modify your registration:
· Reason Fingerprinted Cancel your registration and register again:
After cancelling your registration, you will be refunded (if applicable)